JONI ON THE CEILING is a new indie-rock musical about an idealistic 18-year-old college freshman, who still lives at home with her widowed father, and her first vulnerable weekend on campus when she is forced to run away from home.
Over the course of a wild weekend, Joni falls in love with college king Orca, is betrayed by her dad, and must learn the value of home before she finds herself in much deeper trouble on campus than she ever found with her father. And Dad must learn to see relationships in a new way before he loses the only person he has left to love.
• “Waiting & Waiting” – Finding themselves with nowhere else to go, Orca tries to convince Joni to stick it out with him.
• “Joni on the Ceiling” – Joni envisions herself floating away from her mother's funeral, in her first attempt to escape reality.
• “First Semester” – Joni wakes up in the hospital after drinking herself into oblivion and ruining the relationships she built over the course of the weekend on campus.
NYFA New Works Reading, NYC, July 2016.
Director - Gina Rattan (Assoc. Dir. Matilda, NBC Peter Pan)
Producers - Emily Hammond Cook (Public Theater)
- Tony LaPlaca (Disgraced)
Music Director - Dana Haynes (A Night Like This)
Starring - Christy Altomare (Anastasia),
- F. Michael Haynie (Charlie & the Chocolate Factory)
- Karen Mason (Mamma Mia!, Sunset Boulevard)